[Server-devel] locking the SD card

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jul 7 00:58:20 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 07:51:02PM -0700, Sameer Verma wrote:
> I figured, if I lock the SD card, the OS will be forced to act as read
> only on the card, but that's not the case. Even after sliding the lock
> switch on the SD card, root is able to write files to the partition.

Yes, the SD slot write-lock is advisory only, and does not prevent
writing to the SD card.

(On an XO-1 C2 with kernel 2.6.31_xo1-20101216.2360.2.olpc.741a3'
mounting a card defaults to a read-only mount, but it can be remounted
read-write.  Other kernels may do other things.)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/