[Server-devel] The old xs-livecd is the new olpc-xs-builder

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 17:24:52 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> While not as modular and elegant as olpc-os-builder, we do have a
> collection of tools and configs that, operated correctly, build XS
> isos for installation. This can be useful to prepare a custom
> auto-intalling iso with preconfigured settings.
>
>  http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/olpc-xs-builder

The current scripts (just committed) are based on pungi and a comps
file. This is _trivial_ compared to the overcomplicated mess we had
before.

Perhaps it's experience in wrestling with revisor and earlier versions
of pungi. Maybe it's Jerry's better-way-to-do-it recommendations that
have finally reached an active neuron in my skull.

The key trick is splitting the Pungi process; stop it before it makes
the ISO -- edit/overwrite the bits we want, and then make the ISO. See
http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/olpc-xs-builder/commit/?id=9093a4c380d0394c957f547c593a28db68f5b512

The package definition on both ks files is going to get slimmed down
to @OLPC-XS methinks.

Jerry,

 - is there anything else we should whack before ISOing the ISO? I
just reviewed the mkslim script but it's unclear to me what was
getting cut out.
 - is there anything we want to include so that turning that ISO into
a bootable/installable USB is easier?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com