[Server-devel] IP Address Pools for XOs, known clients, and unknown clients on XS 0.6

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Wed Jan 12 22:32:48 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Anna <aschoolf at gmail.com> wrote:
> I like to leave the AP open on my test XS 0.6 at home, but ran into an issue
> with that yesterday.  I noticed the lights on my router blinking like crazy,
> so I did a live tail on the squid access log to see what was going on.
>
> tail -f /var/log/squid/access.log
>
> And oh, my goodness.

Leaving an access point open is getting more and
more questionable.   Because of the tangle of
issues that can surface it does pay to setup basic
encryption and passwords.  You proxy logs will help
you a lot if there are issues.

My strategy has been to give the access point
an interesting name...
A friendly name might be "AskAnna"  another name
might be informative "GoAwayBob".   Names
like "password is guest" also work.

Pass phrases need not be hard to remember.  Examples
might be:  "I love OLPC!" or "AnnaSaysWelcome".

The reason to establish basic encryption is that without
encryption it is too easy for some passer by to snoop
up pass words to web sites.   None the WiFi crypto systems
are terribly strong but they do keep the riff raff out.

--

                      T o m   M i t c h e l l
                    mitch-at-niftyegg-dot-com