[Server-devel] XS on the XO 1.5

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Aug 18 17:57:43 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 02:43:22PM -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 10:58 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 07:10:55PM -0700, Sameer Verma wrote:
> >> I was thinking (once again) about the possibility of running XS on a
> >> XO 1.5. On the XO-1 the built-in radio runs in the 802.11s mesh mode
> >> and serves out IPs via DHCP. Given that the 1.5 does not do 802.11s
> >> mesh,
> >
> > That's not true. ?The XO-1.5 can do 802.11s mesh, if the right software
> > is loaded. ?See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Thinfirm_1.5
> >
> > However, the XO-1.5 builds from OLPC do not load the right software.
> > That's probably what you meant.
>
> That software is unfortunately _very_ raw, and has seen almost no testing.

I tested it for some days.

The stack (not the firmware) was missing support somewhere else which
meant the testing avoided NetworkManager and Sugar.  So it has seen no
end-user testing.

My point was that the lack of mesh is not a function of XO-1.5 alone,
but a function of both XO-1.5 and the OLPC builds for XO-1.5.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/