[Server-devel] XS on the XO 1.5

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 14:43:22 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 10:58 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 07:10:55PM -0700, Sameer Verma wrote:
>> I was thinking (once again) about the possibility of running XS on a
>> XO 1.5. On the XO-1 the built-in radio runs in the 802.11s mesh mode
>> and serves out IPs via DHCP. Given that the 1.5 does not do 802.11s
>> mesh,
>
> That's not true.  The XO-1.5 can do 802.11s mesh, if the right software
> is loaded.  See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Thinfirm_1.5
>
> However, the XO-1.5 builds from OLPC do not load the right software.
> That's probably what you meant.

That software is unfortunately _very_ raw, and has seen almost no testing.

>> can't the radio instead simply work in adhoc mode and serve the
>> same purpose? I am not sure what the limitations would be of adhoc vs
>> mesh mode in terms of number of clients.
>
> Worth testing, I think.

yep - ad-hoc is a lot more viable, but subject to the limitations
James points out. For a very small setup (small number of units, all
nearby, no other wifi traffic), TCP will cover up some of the ad-hoc
lossage so you'll be fine if you adjust your expectations...

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com