[Server-devel] Interested in LON-CAPA?

Gerd Kortemeyer korte at lite.msu.edu
Fri Sep 10 17:20:37 EDT 2010

Hi,

I was wondering if you might find some use for LON-CAPA, http://www.lon-capa.org/ , on the school servers - we thought it would be cool to contribute to the project.

At the library level, LON-CAPA offers a shared content repository, http://www.lon-capa.org/sharing.html . The content replicates between the distributed servers, so, if the outside connectivity of a server goes down, the content remains available locally on the intranet. When the outside connectivity of the server comes back up, content that changed is automatically updated (both ways). If LON-CAPA would be part of your server architecture, you could have a robust mechanism for content distribution and sharing in less-than-ideal infrastructure situations.

Besides, the course management and homework functionality might come in useful. Content can be multilingual (more than one language in the same resource), and the interface is internationalized. I had no opportunity, though, to test if the interface works with Browse.

Well, let me know if this is something you might be interested in pursuing, and we can check out what it would entail.

- Gerd.

--
Gerd Kortemeyer, Ph.D.
Michigan State University