[Server-devel] Bridging XS to another network

David Leeming david at leeming-consulting.com
Sat Oct 30 20:04:20 EDT 2010

Hi Phil,

Many thanks for helping. I attach a diagram. I have tried port forwarding
192.168.1.88 to port 80 on 172.18.0.1 in port forwarding, UPnP forwarding
and DMZ Host (yes all ports should be exposed).

It's quite complicated. If you connect a PC to the XS with auto settings, it
gets an IP in network 172.18.96.0/255.255.224.0 but the DNS is on
172.18.0.1. Just did it now, and my laptops was given these settings by the
XS:

IP - 172.18.96.28

Mask - 255.255.224.0

Gateway - 172.18.96.1

DHCP - 172.18.96.1

DNS - 172.18.0.1  (sic)

If I enter 172.18.96.1 into the browser it gives the "could not establish
connection" page.

If I enter 172.18.0.1 I can see the XS Moodle, wiki everything.

So the DNS is on a DIFFERENT network to the DHCP and gateway etc.

If I change my PC settings manually to match the router
(172.18.0.88/255.255.255.0)

IP - 172.18.0.89

Mask - 255.255.255.0

Gateway - 172.18.0.88

I can now ping through the router to the external network, and if I enter
172.18.0.1 in the browser I can access the server (it comes up with the
Moodle page - thanks to the DNS).

BUT the server will only ping the 172.18.0.88 LAN side of the router. If I
try the WAN it responds network unreachable.

I attach the httpd.conf and route tables from the XS... (note that I added
two routes at the top of the table - didn't work)

David Leeming

Solomon Islands Rural Link