[Server-devel] How to configure XS with only one Ethernet port

Anna aschoolf at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 09:26:08 EDT 2010

If I'm messing around with different ethernet devices (a USB wifi adapter or
USB ethernet adapter) and stuff isn't showing up the way I want, I'll take a
look at /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

For example, if I want to get my internet connection from my USB wifi
adapter, which shows up as wlan0, I'll go in there and edit wlan0 to eth0,
making sure that's the only eth0 in there.  Or sometimes if I've been
plugging different USB things in and out and I want to start over, I'll
remove all my USB doodads, delete that file, reboot, and start afresh.

I'll also take a look at that file if I'm moving around physical cards to
make sure that what I want to be eth1 is showing up as that and not eth2.
My older/cheap hardware can be persnickety.

Anna Schoolfield