[Server-devel] MediaWiki on XS

David Leeming david at leeming-consulting.com
Sat Oct 23 00:29:48 EDT 2010

Hi,

Things may have moved forward a bit since this useful document was shared on
this list.

I have tried to follow the instructions and installed mediawiki (without
texlive) and mysql using yum install, but

(a)    In the attached document, MySQL Preparation, the stated directories
i.e. /usr/local/mysql/* do not exist.

(b)   There seem to be instances of the packages in /usr/bin but the command

/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u <root password> <mypassword>

gives error

"Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)'

Something has changed with the XS or does this show my installation has some
issues?

Background to his - I'm working on a project involving an OLPC pilot in
Solomons, rural community and schools wi-fi network, and a UNESCO indigenous
knowledge management project. To cut things short, we need to have mediawiki
running on the same server as the XS. Then students using specially prepared
lesson plans will create local language multimedia content for a wiki. For
various reasons moderation is needed, and we also want to reduce any
barriers to creativity and participation so a local wiki as well as the XS
will be needed for user uploads (content contributions for the wiki)

http://wikieducator.org/Patukae_College/OER_Reef_and_Rainforest_wiki_in_Maro
vo_Language

David Leeming

Solomon Islands Rural Link