[Server-devel] Jabber presence under NAT & named under DMZ issues

Anna aschoolf at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 22:06:52 EST 2010

Thanks to Jerry's and Martin's notes, I got the XSXO working correctly in my
router's DMZ with my external IP and FQDN.  I also "hotswapped" the XS, so
to speak.

XSXO1 = the install where named broke
XSXO2 = my second install

XSXO2:  After first boot, I edited /var/named-xs/school.external.zone.db for
my external IP.  Then ran domain_config and named started up without error.
That was it.  Rebooted.

On XSXO1,  I backed up the ejabberd db:

ejabberdctl backup /tmp/jabber.bak

Copied it over to /tmp on XSXO2 and restored it:

chown ejabberd:ejabberd /tmp/jabber.bak
ejabberdctl restore /tmp/jabber.bak

XSXO1 had live Jabber chat users (and has had for the past few days).  I
gave folks warning, then physically unplugged the USB ethernet adapter from
XSXO1 and hooked it up to XSXO2.  It came up as eth0 and then everyone
automagically came back online!  My router sees the USB ethernet adapter's
MAC as the DMZ device, so I figured it would do that.

I know the XO-1 is a "tiny, tiny server" but my Jabber user group typically
has no more than a dozen users online at any given time.  I was just hoping
XS on the XO-1 would prove to be a viable backup solution to my big old Dell
XS in the event of system maintenance or a power outage.

As far as the Jabber presence resetting itself every hour when the XS is
behind NAT, I suspect it might be my router.  The ejabberd logs only
indicated that users disconnected and then reconnected.  Robert Howard, one
of my Jabber users in San Francisco, is sending me one of his spare DSL
modem/router units to try out.

Also, given my previous unsuccessful attempts at XS 0.6 on my big old Dell
(currently running XS 0.5.2), I'm glad to finally know how to get networking
up without breaking named.  And now I have a backup XS to keep everyone
happy while I update from XS 0.5.2 to 0.6.  (My users are borderline
obsessive.)

The XS's I've set up at schools currently don't have this issue with XS 0.6
as they're not public facing, but their DSL connections do have external
static IPs.  Another one of the reasons why I wanted to test this out.

Anna Schoolfield
Birmingham