[Server-devel] Jabber presence under NAT & named under DMZ issues

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 10:48:04 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Anna <aschoolf at gmail.com> wrote:
> After a couple of recent power outages and some disappointed users, I tried
> out the "XS on an XO" again, which I'll call XSXO from now on.

An XO-1 is a tiny, tiny server. Bear in mind I would not expect it to
handle much more than 20~30 users.

Additionally, the USB-Ethernet dongles cause a ton of IRQ noise, so if
there is a bit of traffic, the CPU gets swamped with handling network
activity. One of the nice things of modern network cards (PCI, etc) is
that they have gotten really good avoiding raising IRQs, doing DMA,
etc. You cannot do any of that with a USB-Ethernet.

> Initially, I set this up for /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0-local

I assume you ran xs-swapnics at some point?

> All was going well, except that the ejabberd presence
> service kept resetting at the top of the hour, every hour.

> But then named never comes back up:
> school.internal.zone.db:4: schoolserver1.\@\@BASEDNSNAME\@\@: bad owner name

that means that the domainconfig didn't work.

Any logs from ejabberd itself?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com