[Server-devel] Bridging XS to another network

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 2 05:09:50 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 19:21 +1100, David Leeming wrote:
> OK thanks Jerry. I have decided to test this out on a safe replicated environment rather than risk breaking something,
> as I'd then not be able to fix it in the short time left on site. You gave me the second option, for the few fixed Windows
> PCs that will be involved in the initial part of this project, on those I will edit the hosts file. I will be back here next
> month and will have then bring a second machine with me to "b****r" about with at no risk!
>
> Many thanks, you've really been a tremendous help, also Anna and other, cheers
>
> David Leeming
> Solomon Islands Rural Link

David:

If you want to use a single interface XS and can boot from USB, then I
suggest that you look at using what I wrote for olpc-au. The iso from:
http://download.laptop.org.au/XS/F9/XS-AU/iso/ has all the F9 updates
and XS-updates rolled up in it. What make the single interface XS is the
kickstart files that are provided when you use (tested on F12):

http://download.laptop.org.au/XS/F9/XS-AU/tools/mkusbinstall-F12forXSAU

mkusbinstall-F12forXSAU --reset-mbr --getkickstart <isopath> <usbstick \
device>

That will setup the flashdisk as an installer, grab the kickstart files
that customize the XS to a single interface version. You then just have
to use Sridhar's mini-howto, but use mkusbinstall-f12forXSAU as above.
You can skip copying the kickstart files and start at 2. open local.cfg
in a text editor.

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/server-devel/2010-May/004926.html

Think that might be easier, it works out of the box.

Jerry