[Server-devel] automatic OS updates from school server

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon May 10 14:47:22 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> In my opinion one of the bigger holes left in the school server is the
> fact that we can't push OS updates to the XOs. And the team here in La
> Rioja keep asking about it,

Agreed - it's a major item.

> Actually the hard work is all done (XS has updates server, XO has
> update client, both work well), the only missing bit is a section in
> the OATS server implementation which actually tells the XOs about the
> updates.
>
> And I already did most of the work, anyone interested in continuing?
> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/server-devel/2009-October/004261.html
> The conclusions from that thread is that MyConfigParser can probably
> be reimplemented as a trivial ConfigParser subclass (diff it against
> Python's copy, it's a trivial change IIRC) or we could switch to the
> external iniparse module.

Yup - Daniel's code is good. Can anyone help integrate this?

Also. IIRC the client side stays on the "one run per day" policy and
doesn't retry hard enough. Once the XO has seen an "upgrade to X" msg,
it should retry aggressively on the rsync command until it gets all
the bits it needs. Or switch to a "back off if network swamped"
policy.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com