[Server-devel] News forum and user database

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue May 4 12:24:20 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 5:18 AM, David Leeming
<david at leeming-consulting.com> wrote:
> I have two questions, we are deploying at a school in PNG this week.
>
> 1)      What is the easiest way to take home with us (i.e. on a flash-drive)
> a copy of the user database with names and serial numbers of XOs registered
> on the XS? Where is the database?

/home/idmgr/identity.db

If you have plenty of storage, Daniel Drake had written a nice "backup
my whole XS" script. I don't have a link to it, but it was sure
discussed here few months ago.

> 2)      What is the expected behaviour of the default news forum on the XS
> Moodle front page? We registered an admin XO and then a load of users. I
> tried to add a news announcement using the admin XO. It appears on the admin
> XO but none of the users.

This might be a misconfiguration. I'll try explore this later -

> 3)      What sort of data would people find useful from the server
> performance? We have a small form factor eBox as the server (sorry I don’t
> have manufacturer details, I will try and get them) with five access points
> distributed around the school. Situation is that there are initially only 61
> students (G3 and G4 – PNG primary schools start with G3) and 8 teachers with
> XOs, but on saturation we will have 170 students (may have to add another AP

With those users registered and using the internet(?) + Moodle +
collaboration, I'd love to see the output of "sar -A" after a day or a
few hours of heavy usage.

> Note on power consumption: We have ascertained that the eBox uses 14W and
> the whole set up runs at 45W. In this school they have daytime power but in
> the other 12 we are doing they will need solar power.

That's not bad at all. The eBox power use at 14W was taken under load,
or idling? Same question for the "whole setup" measurement -- APs that
are idling just send a beacon every second or so, and might present a
completely different picture when dealing with traffic. Other than
eBox, switch and APs, any other gear in the mix?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com