[Server-devel] Collaboration server for existing network

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Sun Mar 14 23:49:13 EDT 2010

Hi Martin,

Thank you very much for that explanation. It certainly helps to keep
everything in perspective.

What I think we really need is a turn-key ejabberd solution that
integrates with existing network services. If you or anyone else can
assist we'd be immensely grateful. I'll explain...

There appears to be some a difference in the design assumptions for
the XS versus what we see in Australian schools. The XS works great
where no other network exists, or where it is acceptable to establish
a separate subnet and wireless infrastructure. Schools in remote
Australia are attended by children who literally live in third-world
conditions (making them good candidates for XOs), but the schools
themselves are generally well-funded and have great network
connectivity. Buildings are networked together, wireless points are
mounted around the place, and so on. If we can harness this existing
infrastructure, we can make our jobs easier and more cost-effective.
It will also give us considerably greater buy-in from stakeholders.

We are also constrained by the remoteness of these schools. Take a
look at a map of Australia and you'll see why. Settlements are very
far apart and it is a very expensive exercise sending a team out to
one. The deployment needs to work the first time, as it is difficult
to return to the location.

The 'Easy' method you outline (i.e. what the XS is designed to do) is
what we have been doing so far. I like how the XS automagically
handles much of the complexity for this. However, because it is
self-contained we need to also deploy our own wireless points and so
on. The 'Hard' method is too difficult to expect a volunteer to
perform, and there are too many things that could go wrong either
during setup or afterwards.

Long-term, I'd like to see us using the XS as our primary platform. At
the moment, however, it doesn't integrate into existing networks and
therefore can unfortunately be perceived as a burden.

Shorter-term, we have identified that the key feature we need is the
collaboration. Schools would be very happy if they just had that. It
seems like a way forwards is to have a more 'standard' Linux server
(running something like CentOS or Fedora). It would run ejabberd to
manage the collaboration. There should only be a need for one network
interface, eth0, which would get its DHCP, DNS and other network
services from the LAN. The XOs can connect to existing wireless
points.

A key design goal is that this needs to be easy to set up and
maintain, so that a volunteer can do it in the field. So far I've
found ejabberd to be extraordinary fiddly to set up, which has given
me an appreciation for the good work done on making the XS easy to
deploy.

I'm sure that a solution to this problem would be of great use in many
locations worldwide. I don't believe that our use case is particularly
unique.

I'd love to hear the list's opinion on this. Even better, we'd love to
hear from anyone who can help us out.

Cheers,
Sridhar

Sridhar Dhanapalan