[Server-devel] [Fwd: Turn Editing On missing and joining multiple courses]

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Wed Jul 28 08:02:02 EDT 2010

> From: "David Leeming" <david at leeming-consulting.com>
> To: "'XS Devel'" <server-devel at lists.laptop.org>
> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:52:08 +1000
> Subject: [Server-devel] Turn Editing On missing and joining multiple
> courses
>

> In our PNG deployment and elsewhere I am finding with Moodle that when the
> initial administrator XO creates additional course creators, the “Turn
> Editing On” button does not appear on the new Course Creator XOs, although
> you can see all the site admin functions. For example, I have used Admin 1
> XO (the first one to register) to make Admin 2 XO a system course creator
> and a front page course creator.  But no “Turn Editing On” appears.

I don't know exactly the role setup for Moodle on XS, but it may be that
they have slightly different roles; do they appear at the same level in
"Users" - "permissions" - "assign system roles"?
I just tested - I am logged in as site "administrator" (I mean Moodle role
"administrator" at system level) on one computer and have just assigned
another XO as "course creator" at system level. The new system course
creator XO does have a turn editing on button.
Tested adding another XO as a front page course creator and this XO does not
get a turn editing on button. I then tested assigning the XO as a front page
teacher and now they do get the turn editing on button.

> Secondly, we have set up courses for each of six classes and are joining
> the 250 students and their teachers to them as “teachers” and “students”.
> The teachers have been made “Front Page teachers” but not been given any
> system roles (otherwise they appear in all the courses). We want to allow
> teachers to collaborate between each other as well, so I am thinking of
> creating a “Teachers” course. I have not enough experience with Moodle to
> know what to expect – will there be any “cross over” issues (the best way I
> can describe it) if teachers A and B are members of the Grade 3A and 4B
> courses respectively, and then also both as members of “Teachers”.
>
> The PNG teachers can be in a course called teachers and assigned as any
role you want. I think the front page thing might be what is confusing
things for PNG. Moodle is hierarchical - system roles beat course roles
which beat resource/activity object roles. Moodle considers the front page
to be a course, so system role would beat it.
PNG Teachers are not system level teachers so you can make them students in
a course. Who is the teacher role assigned to for the teacher course? The
principal maybe?
Continuing this train of thought - it is perfectly okay to make a student a
teacher of a course. e.g. You can have a year 6 student the teacher of the
year 4 maths course if you want. Just don't do it at system level, stick to
course level.

I would not set system level roles for anyone except the person(s) who will
adminstrate Moodle after you leave. Two people is good in case one person
leaves.

Tabitha