[Server-devel] xs-config's networking layout

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Sun Jul 25 10:28:17 EDT 2010

On 24 July 2010 08:53, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Hi Martin & List:
>
> I was looking a the xs-config package, I was thinking the next course of
> action is to split out the AA hardware support into an optional
> sub-package, along with it's supporting networking files, that frees us
> to change things around a little bit. With that in mind, I was thinking
> that if the AA support could now be optional, then the single/duel
> interfaces could be made optional as well by packaging a base single
> interface serving up the services as one rpm package and a second rpm
> package that could configure the internet access on the WAN for the xs's
> LAN.
>
> The split that I was thinking was:
>
> 1) xs-config: would handle http, moodle-xs, ejabbard, pgsql-xs, rssh,
> git and related common config files that make up the xs's core net
> services, and not required to provide net access to the rest of the lan.
> I'm thinking that the default services could be bound to 0.0.0.0/0 here.
>
> 2) xs-inet: adds support for the second interface, squid, named, dhcpd,
> iptables, would add onto the above base install, providing internet
> access for the lan. This rpm would require the above one, and we use git
> here to change the binding of the above services to support the regular
> xs network  layout. We could just lock down the external interfaces with
> iptables here, and not change the config files, but I'd rather do both.
> Any thoughts on that?
>
> 3) xs-AA: adds the AA related files, and would require the xs-inet rpm
> above.
>
> Am I on the right track? or is there another plan?
> Any other thoughts or feedback?

Full disclosure: Jerry is performing XS development with funding from
OLPC Australia.

A major driver behind this idea is that Jerry has created for us a
version of the XS which works well on existing networks. This is what
is being deployed in Australian schools today, as the default XS is
unsuitable. Jerry's proposal would make the XS more modular, so that
it can accommodate both the conventional (where it creates a full
network) and Australian configurations. In addition, it makes the
Active Antenna (which was never released) packages optional,
simplifying the installation.

Sridhar

Sridhar Dhanapalan
Technical Manager