[Server-devel] Configuring XS Server to work in an existing network

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 20:46:49 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Ian Cunningham
<ian.cunningham at ntschools.net> wrote:
> Hi from the Red Centre

Hi and welcome to the list!

> We have been trialling the XO laptops with our primary schools in an
> existing network infrastructure, where the main school server (Windows)
> supplies the dhcp, file sharing, printing and web proxy services.

Ok.

> use only one XS server for the
> school.

Yes - I'd recommend keeping just one XS per school.

> What I would like to be able to do is register an XO to an XS server, via an
> access point connected to the school network.
>
> The XO receiving its ip address from the Windows server and registering with
> the XS server which has a fixed ip address.

You can do it with appropriate DNS entries on the DNS server so that
the XOs find the XS.

The New York City pilot did it, search the archive of this list (which
is very well indexed by google) for their notes.

You need to know however that the XS dev team (just me!) is stretched
hyper-thin, and that the XS is evolving into tighter integration with
the XO, and more services.

So doing  what you want is possible, but is 100% up to you.
Unsupported. Don't try this at home kids.

I apologise, the XS is my puppy, and I wish it could satisfy your case too.

OTOH, if you do it, and you can document it in the wiki, I am sure
others will be glad. And who knows, it may be something scriptable,
and if you craft such script I can include it in the XS.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com