[Server-devel] How to setup wireless mesh network for School server

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 10:38:55 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 11:09 PM, ganesh gajre
<gnowledge.ganesh at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had setup a schoolserver at my place using Lenovo laptop. All the other
> stuff like backup-XO, moodle is configured. Now my problem is, i am unable
> to setup a wireless mesh for communicating between XS and XO.

Right -- I do the same here with a dell latitude d830 for development
and testing.

You will need an access point, and a usb-ethernet adapter.

The existing ethernet on the laptop is automatically configured to be
eth0 -- which is set to handle the Internet/WAN connection. Add the
usb ethernet and it'll be autoconfigured as eth1 - the LAN connection.
Hook that up to the AP.

usb-ethernet adapters bottleneck really easily, so if you more than a
dozen or so XOs you will want to swap the roles -- the embedded
ethernet as eth1 and the usb-ethernet as eth0. To do that, use
xs-swapnics.

Details on how to do these thigns in the
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Techniques_and_Configuration page.

> I don't have active antena, is it possible to create mesh using wireless
> point of a laptop?

Not really. In some cases -- very few actually -- the wireless card on
the laptop may have what is known as a "hostap" driver. If your card
is one of the few that does, you may be able to run it as an access
point.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com