[Server-devel] We need: examples of XS hardware in use --

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 13:57:36 EST 2010

> We have looked at two machines. The Fit PC and the Fit PC2. Both were for
> small deployments (<25 units).
>
> The Fit PC:
> 500MHz Geode, with 512MB RAM. Full specs at
> http://www.fit-pc.com/fit-pc1/whats-new.html
> Power consumption at the AC/DC powerbrick = 8W
> Stays warm to the touch (104 F in 72 F ambient temp)
> We replaced the factory installed drive with a 64GB SSD.
>
> The Fit PC2:
> 1.6 GHz Atom, 1GB DDR2 RAM, 6 ports, etc. Full specs at
> http://www.fit-pc.com/web/fit-pc2/fit-pc2-specifications/
> Power consumption at the AC/DC powerbrick = 15W
> Gets hot to the touch.
>
> We've installed XS 0.6 on both machines successfully. The FitPC2 does have
> some reboot issues (hangs) so we didn't send it to Madagascar. We have the
> FitPC in the field in Maroantsetra, Madagascar, but isn't being used much
> due to other issues (lack of tech expertise in the field). We'll know more
> about the behavior of these once Ben (cc'd) has had a run of tests on these
> machines later this month.

The Fit-PC is very close in specs to the XO-1. I have one which I use
as a firewall/gateway. It has similar limitations to the XO especially
WRT memory. The Fit-PC2i looks interesting as it re-introducing the
second ethernet port and can have more ram. It also has wifi so you
can have a WAN port, a LAN port as well as using it as a wifi AP.

Peter