[Server-devel] We need: examples of XS hardware in use --

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Wed Jan 13 13:25:22 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 7:27 AM, Reuben K. Caron <reuben at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2010, at 7:43 AM, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>
> > List, David, Reuben,
> >
> > We are getting increasing enquiries "what hardware can we use for an
> > XS in a school with N laptops?", and frankly the
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Recommended_Hardware is a bit slim on
> > concrete recommendations.
> >
> > So I need your help -- I've added some info in the "hardware known to
> > work" section, but I'd like David to put more info on the exact model
> > of MSI Wind he's using, additional hardware, number of laptops
> > supported, and any extra notes.
> >
> > Similarly, Reuben, I need more info on what hw the OLPCCorps crowd
> > is using.
>
> OLPC purchased 30  machines for OLPCorps with the following specs from
> Logic Supply. These units are supporting anywhere between 30-100 XOs.
> So far the only bug report we have heard was the corrupted mnesia
> database
>
> SolidLogic Fanless Mini-ITX System
>   -Mainboard: EPIA LN10000EG 1 GHz and HP7
>   -Case: Serener GS-L02 Fanless Mini-ITX Case - Black
>   -Memory: 1GB DDR2 667 RAM
>   -HDD Standard: 160GB 3.5" Seagate SATA 7200rpm
>   -Power Switch: None - Unit will be set to Auto-Power-On
>

> > And anyone else that's running an XS (hi Hamilton!)... we need your hw
> > profile and your numbers.
> >
> > Additionally, I've added a 'server sizing' section. It'll be great to
> > get corroboration that the CPU/RAM to number of users match what you
> > are using in the field, and whether your server gets in trouble when
> > usage spikes.
> >
> > cheers,

> > --
> > martin.langhoff at gmail.com
> > martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
> > - ask interesting questions
> > - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
> > - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff

We have looked at two machines. The Fit PC and the Fit PC2. Both were for
small deployments (<25 units).

The Fit PC:
500MHz Geode, with 512MB RAM. Full specs at
http://www.fit-pc.com/fit-pc1/whats-new.html
Power consumption at the AC/DC powerbrick = 8W
Stays warm to the touch (104 F in 72 F ambient temp)
We replaced the factory installed drive with a 64GB SSD.

The Fit PC2:
1.6 GHz Atom, 1GB DDR2 RAM, 6 ports, etc. Full specs at
http://www.fit-pc.com/web/fit-pc2/fit-pc2-specifications/
Power consumption at the AC/DC powerbrick = 15W
Gets hot to the touch.

We've installed XS 0.6 on both machines successfully. The FitPC2 does have
some reboot issues (hangs) so we didn't send it to Madagascar. We have the
FitPC in the field in Maroantsetra, Madagascar, but isn't being used much
due to other issues (lack of tech expertise in the field). We'll know more
about the behavior of these once Ben (cc'd) has had a run of tests on these
machines later this month.

cheers,
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems