[Server-devel] MediaWiki on XS

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 05:21:48 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 5:15 AM, David Leeming
<david at leeming-consulting.com> wrote:
> In the Pacific Islands we’re still a long way from being able to take it for
> granted that rural schools will have Internet connections. O3B may make a

Hi David -- what's O3B?

> big difference. However, until then I would nevertheless like to use
> Wikieducator as a tool for participatory content development. Training
> teachers on Learning4Content in the capital and then having them return with
> no chance of practicing their new skills is not a good policy.

100% agreed. Several points here on the technical side;

- It should be rather easy to get mediawiki going on the XS - yum
install your dependencies, get the php code, etc. In fact, "yum
install mediawiki" will get you v1.14.0 (which may or may not be
current enough for your needs). Either way, you will probably need to
do some apache configuration (make a new file in /etc/httpd/conf.d )
And the "vanilla" mediawiki will want to use MySQL which comes with
its own warning stickers.

 - Whether wikieducator publishes their database in a format you can
use to run an "offline server" wikieducator, that's for them to
answer. Feel free to insist -- it's definitely worthwhile content.
Watch out for "content" that is merely an external link -- it'd be a
cruel tease in an offline environment.

 - Wikieducator may find it easier for themselves (and for users of
the content like us) to export a *static* version of their content --
Wikipedia does this every month or so, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_download --
specifically the reference to "pages-articles.xml.bz2"

If you do any (or various of the above), do share your "steps to
setup" on our XS_Techniques_and_Configuration page :-)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com