[Server-devel] Connecting the a Schoolserver via SSH

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 11:24:58 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Dr. Gerald Ardito
<gerald.ardito at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was testing the server with about 12 XOs today. They all connected fine
> and had internet connections. But the performance seemed slow. It took
> several seconds for pages to load at times.

Gerald,

you need to diagnose where the problems are. They may be at more than one layer.

 = Is there wifi interference?

    - Do you see other APs in the same frequency, or in overlapping
frequencies? You need about 4 "channels" of separation -- for example,
put your AP in channel 11 -- and make sure there are no other APs
using ch 7, 8 9 or 10. We recommend you use only channels 1, 6 and 11.

    - Can a small number of XOs ping the AP with relatively stable low
latency? (ensure there is no other traffic with that AP at the same
time) If there are no APs in overlapping channels, there may still be
cordless phones using the 2.4GHz band, microwave ovens...

 = Is DNS fast or slow? Use the command "time dig somedomain.org",
testing for the FQDN of the XS itself, plus regional domains, plus
int'l domains.

 = Is HTTP slow? Use `curl -o /dev/null http://schoolserver/ ` , which
will give you timings, to see if the XS homepage is slow to fetch. Try
the same with http://google.com/ for an external URL.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com