[Server-devel] Connecting the a Schoolserver via SSH

Anna aschoolf at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 19:27:24 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Dr. Gerald Ardito
<gerald.ardito at gmail.com>wrote:

> Anna,
>
> Thanks. I'll try this out tomorrow.
>
> I have another question for you.
> I was testing the server with about 12 XOs today. They all connected fine
> and had internet connections. But the performance seemed slow. It took
> several seconds for pages to load at times.
> Also, when I tried to have shared Activities (I opened a chat session, for
> example), the performance was horribly slow, and not every computer could
> connect.
> Do you have any ideas about why this might be happening and how to make it
> better?
>
> Thanks.
> Gerald

The slow page load in either Firefox or Browse is usually helped quite a bit
by disabling ipv6.  In a (recent) Browse activity or Firefox, enter
about:config in the address bar.  Type ipv6 in the filter bar.  The
Preference Name you're looking for is "network.dns.disableIPv6."  Double
click it to set the value to true.  That usually helps page load speed quite
a bit.

If activities seems really slow when they're shared over the XS versus the
XO-1 mesh, I don't know what that might be other than the throughput of your
AP.  If you suspect your XS setup, you can always connect to my test XS 0.6
running a "semi-public" Jabber to see if there's a difference.  In fact,
we've just been testing joining the XO Chat activity with regular XMPP
clients like Pidgin and Gajim.  Send me a private email if you'd like the
URL.  And that goes for anyone who's interested, not just Gerald.

Anna Schoolfield
Birmingham