[Server-devel] XS on XO Setup as Contingency for Main Power Outage

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Dec 20 16:00:50 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Anna <aschoolf at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 7:11 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
>>
>> I would recommend that you use a class 6 or class 10 full size SD card for
>> this purpose.
>> One of the Sandisk Extreme III cards, for example.   The extra cost is
>> worth it for the server.
>> There is a huge difference in card performance, especially for small file
>> writes, and
>> the new larger sized (8+GB) microSD cards tend to be especially bad.
>>

> It's an 8 GB Patriot SDHC class 6, which has always been really snappy.  I
> actually used an initial iteration of the XSXO for a couple of weeks last
> month for an extended "maintenance window" while I diddled around backing
> up, cleaning out the dust bunnies, and reinstalling my regular XS.  My users
> couldn't tell the difference as far as Jabber went.  I did have to make sure
> to not keep a local login up, as I had the XSXO on the floor in the pantry
> next to the DSL modem and the cats would walk on the XO's keyboard.  "Darn
> it, cat, you're not root!"
>

>> Great write-up, by the way.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> wad
>>

> Thanks!  I've been meaning to get this set up in anticipation of winter
> storms and hoped others would find it useful.  Not only as a power friendly
> backup, but it lowers the barriers to entry for running your own Jabber and
> Apache if you can't dedicate a "real" computer but do have an XO-1 and a
> spare SD card.
>
> Anna Schoolfield
> Birmingham

Hi Anna,
Great write-up. Just wondering if you had a chance to run the /var off
a external USB drive on the XS-on-XO (like we had at the OLPC SF
summit). By the way, Ben Tran has defended his thesis project
successfully (http://file.status.net/i/identica/sameerverma-20101215T220215-6bczm4g.jpeg),
so we should start seeing his documents, tests and results on the wiki
sometime soon.

cheers,
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems