[Server-devel] XS on XO Setup as Contingency for Main Power Outage

Anna aschoolf at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 20:34:43 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 7:11 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:

> I would recommend that you use a class 6 or class 10 full size SD card for
> this purpose.
> One of the Sandisk Extreme III cards, for example.   The extra cost is
> worth it for the server.
> There is a huge difference in card performance, especially for small file
> writes, and
> the new larger sized (8+GB) microSD cards tend to be especially bad.

It's an 8 GB Patriot SDHC class 6, which has always been really snappy.  I
actually used an initial iteration of the XSXO for a couple of weeks last
month for an extended "maintenance window" while I diddled around backing
up, cleaning out the dust bunnies, and reinstalling my regular XS.  My users
couldn't tell the difference as far as Jabber went.  I did have to make sure
to not keep a local login up, as I had the XSXO on the floor in the pantry
next to the DSL modem and the cats would walk on the XO's keyboard.  "Darn
it, cat, you're not root!"

> Great write-up, by the way.
>
> Thanks!
> wad

Thanks!  I've been meaning to get this set up in anticipation of winter
storms and hoped others would find it useful.  Not only as a power friendly
backup, but it lowers the barriers to entry for running your own Jabber and
Apache if you can't dedicate a "real" computer but do have an XO-1 and a
spare SD card.

Anna Schoolfield
Birmingham