[Server-devel] XS on ASUS Eee PC Network Driver Missing

Andra DuPont andradupont at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 21:34:47 EST 2010

Success! Ethernet port on ASUS Eee PC is up and working.

Here are the steps taken

Download AR81Family-linux-v1.0.1.14.tar.gz from here. (downloaded file should be .tar)

Unzip the .tar and read the readme and follow the numbered steps

Rename the .tar to AR81.tar   copy to flash drive then proceed as follows:

1.    Install GCC and make (and rpm build) *rpm build probably not needed

yum install gcc

yum install make

yum install rpm-build

2.    Move the base driver tar file to /library/public/AR81 (or other convenient location)

3.    Untar/unzip archive:

tar xf AR81.tar

4.    Get the kernel headers (netbook needs to be on the internet)

yum install kernel-devel kernel-headers

5.    Change to the driver src directory and compile:

cd /library/public/AR81/src/

make install

6.    Go to the driver directory

cd /lib.modules/2.6*/kernel/drivers/net/atl1e

            (atl1e.ko should be in the directory)

7.    Install the module

Insmod atl1e.ko

8.    Remove the rule file to clear the NIC hardware files

cd /etc/udev/rules.d

rm 70-persistent-net.rules

9.    Restart using the Ethernet port as the WAN port.