[Server-devel] XS on ASUS Netbook - Display Problem

Andra DuPont andradupont at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 11:34:30 EST 2010

Martin,
Success...

I edited the /boot/grub/menu.lst file so that the kernel line is now

         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686 ro root=UUID=58ef33d6-bd02-4a2c-830b-2515ff9368ed rhgb quiet acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor

On the first reboot, the boot process paused for about 30 seconds at
the "starting udev" stage. The screen went dim, but when the server
was fully booted, the fn+F6 key worked to raise the brightness!

On second reboot, the boot process did not pause, and the screen remained bright. Issue solved.

You may want to consider adding this to future server releases, assuming that it doesn't
cause problems on other platforms.

Andy