[Server-devel] XS on ASUS Netbook - Display Problem

Andra DuPont andradupont at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 20:14:36 EST 2010

Martin,
Removing the first line from the 80-drivers.rules keeps the screen from going dark, but as best I can tell, it also keeps most of the drivers from being installed. For instance, the ethernet ports are not found when the line is omitted. The line is:

	DRIVER!="?*", ENV{MODALIAS}=="?*", RUN{ignore_error}+="/sbin/modprobe $env{MODALIAS}"
SUBSYSTEM=="pnp", DRIVER!="?*", ENV{MODALIAS}!="?*", \

As best as I can tell, the command uses modprobe to install the appropriate drivers from the modules.alias list in /lib/modules/... directory.

So apparently one of the drivers that is installed is conflicting with the screen brightness.

Do you have any idea where to go from here? I am really surprised because the Acer Aspire One this I'm using in Kenya now did not have this problem, and it has the same Intel GMA 3150 graphics processor as this ASUS Eee PC.

Andy