[Server-devel] WWWOFFLE Cache Size and Location

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 12:06:33 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 2:10 AM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
>> A related question: Why is the /library mapped to a separate disk space rather than
>> leaving it on the root directory?
> Think that is related to trying to run the XS on an XO where the OS is
> on the CF card, and /library would be on an external HD.

That's a good side-effect too ;-) -- the original reasoning, dating
back to when Wad was working on the xs, was about
resizing/mirroring/striping the /library partition.

With LVM it's possible, but not pretty. If btrfs does deliver on the
out-of-this-world expectations everyone has on it... it'll mean that
separating the OS and data is a clear win.

On the OS side, we can use checkpoints for rpm-driven upgrades (so we
can rollback in case of trouble).

On the /library side, mirroring and striping become much more doable, and sane.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com