[Server-devel] OLPC & Moodle use

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 18:56:36 EDT 2010

I would also point users to linux-for-education.org, which tries to be a
little broader in terms of all the learning materials available, and isn't
olpc centric. It does, however, have more olpc/sugar based learning
materials than any other moodle install I know of. Having set up the
majority of schools.sugarlabs.org and linux-for-education.org, I really
think the 2 installs should be mirrors with the same content, to make it
easier for content creators to choose where to deploy. Both sites have been
neglected for quite a while, the main reason being I am the only one really
paying any attention to deploying new  learning materials, and I've been off
doing other things, for which there seems to be a little more of a
spotlight, something necessary, regardless of how selflessly time and energy
is given to these projects. Unfortunately, since people don't seem to see
the benefit of helping with the creation of documentation style learning
materials, this is an uphill battle with no rewards. But we need this stuff,
and even if its going to be just me adding content, then so be it, at least
there is a place people can go to grab free in the full sense of the word
learning materials. The sites (with an emphasis on linux-for-education.org)
should be growing quite dramatically soon, due to needing to scratch our own
itches (myself and some fellow users are starting up an IT school and are in
need of free and open learning materials, so we will have to create what is
not already there, ourselves) We will be basing the materials on ECDL and
ICDL (European and Internatiohnal computer drivers license) as with that in
mind one can get a diploma that is recognised in most  places in the world.
The ECDL curriculum is quite standardised and visible on its website, but
there is still no location where one can download or interactively use the
learning materials necessary to finally end up with the suite of diplomas
available from ECDL. We hope to change this soon...

kind regards,
David Van Assche