[Server-devel] Web Caching for Areas with Intermittent Internet - WWWOFFLE installation Guide on 0.6 XS Server

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 11:24:21 EDT 2010

Hi Andra

Fantastic! Thanks! Couple questions:

 - Can we remove the need to set proxy on every XO by either...
   - using a transparent proxy, same as we do with SQUID (maybe make a
TURN_ON_WWWOFFLE script)?
   - serving a proxy autoconfig file via dhcp/apache?

 - Is it viable to automate the "go online / go offline" with a
cronjob that pings a public host ( ping -c1 google) every 5 minutes?
Or...

 - If there's a daemon managing the connetion (case of pppd), use the
"down" and "up" hooks? This would only work if the daemon catches the
"link is lost" situation reliably.

 - Made a rough copy/paste to
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Techniques_and_Configuration#WWWOFFLE_for_unreliable_internet_connections
-- please review :-)