[Server-devel] PDF resources in public folders not opening in Reader

Reuben K. Caron reuben at laptop.org
Fri Apr 2 08:17:23 EDT 2010

On Apr 2, 2010, at 12:46 AM, James Cameron wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 08:44:17AM +1000, David Leeming wrote:
>> We have many resources that are published in PDF that we want to
>> make available
>> in public folders. However, when you browse to them and click on a
>> PDf file, it
>> does not open in Reader but within the browser and I am finding
>> that the PDF
>> reader plug-in for the Browse activity is not able to open many of
>> the files ?
>
> I've reproduced this and raised a ticket.
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10098
>
>> So, how can we get it to force downloads that then open in Read
>> activity? There
>> is a check box ?force downloads?, can we make that take affect
>> globally in the
>> public folder?
>
> Hopefully an XS expert might be able to answer this.
>
> In the Browse activity that you are using, it doesn't seem possible
> for
> the user to force a download.

I don't believe this is an XS issue. The XS is serving up the file and
correct file type. I believe the solution lies in altering the mime
type on the XO, so the XO will download the PDF and associate it with
the "Read" application. FWIW, this is exactly how Browse used to work
and it was altered so Browse would "open," the pdf rather then having
to launch the Read activity.