[Server-devel] RACHEL, another developing world server project, would like to have a discussion with XS

Dennis Nguyen denniskdnguyen at alumni.duke.edu
Wed Sep 30 19:50:44 EDT 2009

Hi again Martin,

Good point -- that is important! Content licensing should be under a
> well known liberal license (GPL, GFDL, some of the Creative
> Commons...), otherwise even RACHEL will have problems with it.

Right now our content has a melange of licenses, with the majority being CC.
Of course we do request permission from all of our content holders before
packaging anything, which gets us past a few issues, but I suppose inclusion
in derivative work (including RACHEL in XS) remains sketchy... this will
require deeper study.

Well, a bare HTML index *is* a perfectly valid index :-) and it beats
> the performance and portability of any other solutions. How do you
> maintain it? Is there any metadata around (dublin core or otherwise)?

Ha :-) AFAIK we have no metadata so far, above or beyond that provided by
the filesystem, and we maintain and list the content by simply adding links
on the index page when we acquire, package, and verify the new content.
Search and flexible indexing will be challenges in the near future. Thanks
for pointing me at DC!

> This project has a voracious appetite for content, and as such we'd rather
> > stuff the project with content first regardless of compatibility with
> open
> > projects like Gnash.
> That is a reasonable approach I guess for your project. At the same
> time, it limits its usability to OLPC and to low-cost netbooks.

Great point made! I'll put this on the list for things to look into. Is
there a set of compatibility guidelines we should look at, or is there a
checker tool so we won't have to bother the content providers as much?

On another note, I just took a look through the XO content library at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Library_grid and to my delight discovered that
everything was a self-contained website in a .zip file! This is a great
thing. Perhaps we could work something out whereby on our content hunting we
could package some content for you folks, permissions and licenses
permitting.

Dennis Nguyen

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com