[Server-devel] DNS/dhcp question

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 26 09:13:17 EDT 2009

Gerald:

On Sat, 2009-09-26 at 08:24 -0400, Gerald Ardito wrote:
> Reuben (and others),
>
> I will try to ask my questions in the most basic way I can think of.
>
> My XS box has two NICs eth0 and eth1.
> Eth0 connects to an internet connection, and works just fine (I can
> ping yahoo.com, for example).
> Eth1 is supposed to connect to the VLAN which has the Access Points.
> I was told by my tech guy to use the following settings:
> IP range is 10.125.140.0
> Give the SchoolServer an IP address of 10.125.140.31,
> set up DHCP for a range of 10.125.140.100 - 254.
> Subnet mask should be 255.255.248.0

Don't think you want to mess with the XS's eth1 setup, that is
pre-configured to use a different network, if you have dhcpd running on
the schoolserver (check with "service dhcpd status") the clients should
be able to ping the schoolserver without the internet.

> Please tell me how to set this up.

Before I comment, what is the output of "ip route ls" and "arp -n" while
connected to the internet?

> Thanks. Once again, I am trying to deploy 150 machines and this is
> important.

Those 150 machines should be able to ping the schoolserver, at least by
ip address. Do the client machines even get an ip address to use? If so
what is it? Can any of the client machines ping the schoolserver @
172.18.0.1 or 172.18.96.1?

> Gerald

Jerry