[Server-devel] Attempting to re-install jabber component of XS without re-installing the entire server

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 10:30:25 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Daniel Bennett <dantana at gmail.com> wrote:
> We saw this message at boot, not sure if it's relevant:
> AICCU is not configured go to /etc/aiccu

That's normal.

> pssql now starts on boot, but we are still getting the same results when
> accessing:
> http://172.18.0.1/(moodle/)

Just to confirm, what is the output of...?

  service pgsql-xs status  (we expect it to be running)
  service moodle status  ("Moodle cron job is enabled")
  chkconfig --list pgsql-xs (should say that it's on in 3,4 and 5)
  chkconfig --list moodle (same)

Note! There is a 'postgres' service too. That should be stopped.

> The result is a page stating:
> Moodle is disabled at the moment.

That is because Moodle is having trouble starting up -- and that is
all about getting the 'pgsql-xs' service going, and the initial moodle
setup running.

Some more debugging:

 - Does the file /etc/moodle/needsupgrade exist? (It should :-) )

 - Does the file  /var/log/moodle-instupg.log exist? You'll want to
look at it. Lines with 'PHP Notice' are safe to ignore, you should see
lots of SQL, and a final line saying "[Wed Sep 16 05:12:57 EDT 2009]
Finished install / upgrade - Success".

That file probably has the secret to your woes...

 - What happens if you do...?

   /etc/initd.d/moodle stop
   (bash -x /etc/initd.d/moodle start 2>&1) | tee moodleinit.log

The 'tee' command will show you the output but will also save it to
the "moodleinit.log" file.

So I am hoping you can post your  /var/log/moodle-instupg.log and
moodleinit.log files so we can debug further.

> We've been digging around (but not changing) /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and
> /etc/httpd/conf/httpd-xs.conf

That should not affect things. If moodle is showing you the "Moodle is
disabled at the moment" msg, the apache config is doing its job just
fine :-)

> and they both point to a document root of /var/www/html

 we are overriding it -- see the /etc/httpd/conf.d/ directory :-)

> Does this have anything to do with our problem?  I don't really know what
> I'm doing...

You're doing pretty well, I gotta say -

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com