[Server-devel] Attempting to re-install jabber component of XS without re-installing the entire server

Daniel Bennett dantana at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 06:37:48 EDT 2009

I've replied in line below.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Daniel Bennett <dantana at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I ran :
> > yum --enablerepo=olpcxs-testing update
> >
> > It downloaded overnight and I ran the upgrade this morning.
>
> Good...
>
> > It both seemed to work and seemed to fail.
> >
> > Failure: during the install of the "kernal" module there was an I/O error
> > and I believe a second failure
>
> Hmmm. An I/O error sounds a serious problem. You can verify a
> successful install of the kernel by doing:
>
>   rpm -V kernel
>
> it should return without printing anything (no news: good news).
>
> dan: I got no news, so I guess it worked

> > cat /etc/issue returns:
> > OLPC School Server release 9-0.5.2
> > Kernel \r on an \m (\l)
> > is this what I should see after update?
>
> that's normal until I formally release it :-)
>
> > Success: The install as a whole seems to have completed successfully.
>
> good!
>
> > After running the update ejabberd was still crashing when I started it.
>
> That is odd.
>
> dan: you may have answered this before reading the rest of my email, but if
it was unclear, ejabberd  is no longer crashing

> > The service runs now without crashing, I can ping
> > schoolserver.lccnjimeta.org and 172.18.0.1 successfully
> > #hostname -f returns schoolserver.lccnjimeta.org
> >
> > However, even though I can ping these from my laptop, I can't access the
> web
> > based jabber interface.
>
> The webbased interface is disabled now. No longer needed.
>
> dan: I ran:
 ejabberdctl connected-users
It returns long output like (the random string here is made up by me):
34209381afaa07fa9dfsaf at schoolserver.lccnjimeta.org/Telepathy

and the number of "users has grown some this morning, from about 4 to over
10

(we have a number of XO's in use here this morning for continued teacher
training)

So I definitely buy that some automagic is going on here.  Is there perhaps
documentation I can view that explains to me how to create different groups
for different classes and generally manage things without the now obsolete
web interface?
(real world example: I would like to put all of my 5th graders in a group
together, my 2nd graders in another, etc)  I might even want to change these
on a regular basis.

Is this all done through moodle perhaps?  Is there documentation I should be
using for that?  If you could send me a link it would be much appreciated.

> < I'm certain that they are communicating further,
> > because when I open http://172.18.01/  (without :5280/admin) it leads me
> > a page telling me that moodle is currently disabled.
>
> Moodle is disabled? Did you restart the machine? Can you tell us the
> output of the commands below?
>
>   service pgsql-xs status

Dan: postmaster is stopped

>   chkconfig --list pgsql-xs

Dan: service pgsql-xs supports chkconfig, but is not reerenced in any
runlevel (run 'chkconfig --add pgsql-xs')

Should I run this as it says?

Other oddities noticed during reboot if they help..:

klogctl during boot returns 'invalid argument'
mshbonds and wmeshs do not seem to be present
could not connect to server postgres as well.

-D