[Server-devel] Backup of user home

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 09:59:39 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Raul Gutierrez Segales
<rgs at rieder.net.py> wrote:
> But how will a non-root user be able to read the backup files
> at /library/users give the following permissions:

Look at the acls for a hint. Apache can already read those files :-)

But your post points out an important distinction

 - My reply was about avoiding running as root on the backup server
itself -- usage of fakeroot helps *there*.

 - Your question is about root on the target XS. By using acls
creatively (maybe set them on  cronjob), Rodolfo can run his backups
with the remote process logging in as a non-root user (a 'backup'
user).

So with these 2 tricks, the whole operation avoids root on both ends
of the connection.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com