[Server-devel] Backup of user home

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Sep 15 01:25:32 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 01:12:24AM -0400, Raul Gutierrez Segales wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 19:43 -0400, John Watlington wrote:
> >
> > Why don't you consider using the rsync server, instead of invoking it
> > through a user ?
> >

> What is the advantage of doing this instead of a pull using rsync
> thourgh ssh as proposed by Rodolfo? That the rsync server would run as
> root (hence we would have access to the whole filesystem)?

Other advantages are performance ... rsync by itself on a network runs
better than rsync over SSH, because of the eliminated cryptographic
processing, the shorter initial startup, and the slightly smaller
packets.  Try each method and measure the result.

rsync server can be set up to use the root UID in read-only mode, and
include a password to prevent easy theft of content by hosts other than
those authorised.  But it is not as secure as SSH with pre-shared keys.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/