[Server-devel] Backup of user home

Raul Gutierrez Segales rgs at rieder.net.py
Tue Sep 15 01:12:24 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 19:43 -0400, John Watlington wrote:
> You are correct.   Since your backup script by definition needs to
> read ALL data,
> regardless of ownership or permissions, you will have to run it with
> superuser
> priviledges.

Unless, if this isn't a huge security hole, we can relax permissions
(i.e. chmod -R g+r /library/users and reconfigure whatever creates users
backups with ownership SN:SN to use SN:wheel).

> Why don't you consider using the rsync server, instead of invoking it
> through a user ?

What is the advantage of doing this instead of a pull using rsync
thourgh ssh as proposed by Rodolfo? That the rsync server would run as
root (hence we would have access to the whole filesystem)?

Raúl