[Server-devel] RACHEL, another developing world server project, would like to have a discussion with XS

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 03:41:00 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 1:50 AM, Dennis Nguyen
<denniskdnguyen at alumni.duke.edu> wrote:
> Right now our content has a melange of licenses, with the majority being CC.
> Of course we do request permission from all of our content holders before
> packaging anything, which gets us past a few issues, but I suppose inclusion
> in derivative work (including RACHEL in XS) remains sketchy... this will
> require deeper study.

Ok. If you add some lightweight metadata, including the license, then
we can automatically pick the redistributable parts :-)

> On another note, I just took a look through the XO content library at
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Library_grid and to my delight discovered that
> everything was a self-contained website in a .zip file! This is a great
> thing. Perhaps we could work something out whereby on our content hunting we
> could package some content for you folks, permissions and licenses
> permitting.

Yes! A simple zip with an index will do :-) -- this is limited to the
space on the XO, so deployments can't preload too much, and end users
can't download too much (there is an activity in the works to make it
easier to browse for content, download and remove).

One better is to add a little bit of DC metadata to the .zip -- that's
what the IMS-CP format is -- and with that we can do a lot more on the
XS. And not only the XS -- tons of other edu tools can browse, unpack
and serve IMS-CP "formatted" content.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com