[Server-devel] Testing XS-0.6d; 'domain_config' script questions

Seth C. Nelson the.slikor at gmail.com
Sun May 24 15:17:18 EDT 2009

Hi Folks,

I'm new to this list and all-things OLPC, but I've been exploring all
the resources and experimenting a lot, so I think I've gotten up to
speed pretty sufficiently.  I have an XO-1 with the latest Sugar
install and a XS-0.5.2 server setup as a testbed.  I made a major
update the other day to the XS Installing Software wiki page
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Installing_Software) using what I
learned after finally getting my XS-0.5.2 server working.  I had
trouble with ejabberd configuration and hostname setup issues, so I
was very happy to see the automagic configuration scripts being
described in messages referencing v0.6.

I downloaded the latest ISO of XS-0.6d from May 18th, and performed
the install on a VM for testing.  (On initial boot I was pleased to
see that ejabberd and dhcpd had messages about needing the domain
configured before they would run, btw)  I ran the
/etc/sysconfig/olpc_scripts/domain_config script and watched it do its
thing, then rebooted.  On boot, I saw that ejabberd and others started
properly, which was great given my trouble with that in 0.5.2.

My question stems from the fact that the machine's hostname is still
'localhost.localdomain' and the /etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.cfg file does
not have the correct host entry with my domain (remains the default
'...laptop.org' server).  I thought/assumed the domain_config script
would change those automatically, so I just wanted to confirm the
expected behavior of that config script..?  If I simply missed a step,
I'm happy to be corrected, I merely want to figure out how to get the
XS up and running in my environment.  I also wish to help update the
wiki with new install instructions, like I did for 0.5.2.

Thanks for your great work and advice on this.  I'll see you all around.

\Seth