[Server-devel] DNS strangeness on 0.5.2

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon May 18 04:17:33 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> Any ideas on what's broken? Where should I begin to look?

BIND on the XS is trying to perform DNS lookups against the root
servers. That'll work from your home connection, but may be blocked in
the uni network. When the XS gets the DHCP lease, it probably also
gets the IP addresses of the local network servers, and then
dutifully... ignores them :-/

The solution is to set a 'forwarders' entry in /etc/named/named-xs.conf

Ideally, we should rig our dhcp client with a hook that reads the
nameservers provided by the server, update named-xs.conf,  restart
named. Wad mentioned once that Debian has a package with such a
script.

Does that help?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com