[Server-devel] XS Server support for Chinese XOs

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue May 12 11:00:23 EDT 2009

Hi T.K.Kang,

I am CC'ing the server-devel list. Please make sure you CC the list in
your replies. Please do subscribe to the list too. We are having the
same discussion about Nepali characters in the list -- you'll miss out
if you're not on the list :-)

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 5:09 PM,  <tkkang at nurturingasia.com> wrote:
> Managed to do some testing over the weekend with with a newly flash Chinese XO. Display of Chinese character works O.K. in browser and in the Journal.

Good...

> 1. When browsing XS with 172.18.0.1/ds-restore the activities do not display chinese characters on the chinese XO

Hmmm. Can you send me a sample datastore, in a tar.gz file?

> 2. However selected activities download display O.K. in chinese on the journal of XO
> 3. Moodle account not created despite user name in English (but I had a space in the name - e.g "Henry law")

Tested, and cannot reproduce the problem. User accounts with a space
in their names were created correctly in the server, access to backups
was normal.

> 2. If we decided in deployment to use user name like "student-001 - student-450)  for registration, it is advisable to later change this with his/her name real (chinese) after registration?

That should not be needed. The bug is probably somewhere else, let's
diagnose it so I can fix it :-)

> 3. How can I clean the whole database of the XS to start afresh?

There are several DBs involved :-/ -- at this stage I'd recommend a reinstall.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com