[Server-devel] touchpad problems (was Re: Questions)

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Sat May 9 21:15:28 EDT 2009

> From: david <david at leeming-consulting.com>

> Daniel,
>
> Feedback from Nauru. It is very hot and very humid. I find typically that almost all the children observe the jumping cursor. The recalibration does help, but it's still a major issue. I am simply unable to use the touchpad in demonstrations. I use a USB mouse and VNCLauncher with UltraVNC to project the XO screen during trainings (works very well), but when I go round to help trainees (we have been training parents as well as students and children) i find I cannot use their touchpads - on almost all the XOs. They have better luck (maybe my fingers are sweaty more than most) and I have noticed students often wrapping cloth around their finger to use the touch pad. It remains a real problem, but people do get by. When I move to an airconditioned room the problem goes away mostly - a 4-finger salute and it's fine.

We had the same problems w/ the touchpad here in Nepal. Nothing ever
fixed the problem, though we never tried wrapping our fingers in cloth.
That is quite novel.

The new touchpad is 1 million times better. Our kids almost never have
trouble w/ the new touchpad. That said, kids w/ the old touchpad are out
of luck.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director