[Server-devel] Apache proxy CRCsync & mozilla gsoc project?

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Wed Mar 25 12:54:29 EDT 2009

On 23/03/09 11:19, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> Fantastic! I assume the rsync-http now know of the vastly superior
> karma of crcsync over the 2-hash method of rsync.

Er, not really. After a lunchtime conversation with tridge at LCA where
he told me about his original project, I just thought it would be cool
and put it up on our SoC list. So I know very little about what's possible.

> If the Apache mods
> and Mozilla speak the same protocol, then machines behind
> bandwidth-constrained links will be in much better shape. I can see
> 3G-internet providers pushing this too.

Clearly, it's worth making sure everyone's on the same page. I see this
as a killer app for Firefox on low-bandwidth links; we'll have every
smalltown and developing world ISP which still has dial-up customers
telling their customers "use Firefox to make your Internet faster".
They'd install the compression server on their web proxy, and voila.

Have I understood correctly? Is Martin coordinating a GSoC project to do
an apache extension for delta-compression-over-HTTP?

Gerv