[Server-devel] Is a USB-Ethernet NIC appropriate for the XS?

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Mon Mar 23 10:10:20 EDT 2009

Bernie and friends on the server-devel list

We want to use the MSI Wind PC for the XS but it has one big problem. It
only has 1 on-board NIC and no PCI slots. As you know, the XS requires 2
NIC's. We have tried several different USB NIC's and are having serious
throughput problems. Is this issue one w/ the NIC or the fact that it is
connected by USB?

The no-name brand USB-Ethernet NIC I am using uses the
pegasus: v0.6.14 (2006/09/27), Pegasus/Pegasus II USB Ethernet driver

The device is:
ADMtek ADM8515 "Pegasus II" USB-2.0 Ethernet

We also have used a branded Trendnet USB NIC w/ similarly bad results.

Please let us know if it is not realistic to use a USB NIC.

We really want to use the MSI Wind PC because it has ample storage, Atom
process, 4 GB of RAM, and only uses 65W

thanks

--
Bryan W. Berry