[Server-devel] Is a USB-Ethernet NIC appropriate for the XS?

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Tue Mar 24 04:41:20 EDT 2009

That isn't the problem. I believe that USB 1.1 NIC's choke when they
have multiple connections. I guess the "Rx polling" - whatever that is -
causes so many interrupts that the NIC stops serving requests

friends on server-devel, I highly recommend you use the "lsusb -v" to
find out if your usb NIC is actually USB 2.0. Apparently a number of USB
NIC's on the market are advertised as USB 2.0 but are actually 1.1

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 14:08 +0545, Ties Stuij wrote:
> So Tony suggested just using the usb-ethernet thingies for the
> internet-connection. USB1.1 is, what, 700kbps? What are the chances
> that we can supply the schools with more bandwidth than that?
>
> /Ties
>
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 4:49 AM, Bryan Berry <bryan at olenepal.org> wrote:
> >> The ever helpful cjb and Mitch_Bradley directed me to the root of the
> >> problem, the USB-ethernet devices I am using are USB 1.1 which has
> >> horrible throughput. A USB-ethernet device that supports USB 2.0 should
> >> fix the problem.
> >
> > That's great news!  I'll also be delighted to hear about what hw you
> > find that works...
> >
> > cheers,

> > --
> >  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
> >  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
> >  - ask interesting questions
> >  - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
> >  - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff

Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director
OLE Nepal, http://www.olenepal.org