[Server-devel] Serving 400+ students w/ a single central XS - ejabberd nightmare?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 16:58:25 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:11 AM, Bryan Berry <bryan at olenepal.org> wrote:
> I am worried about the XO's and not the XS.

Now you're starting to see what I've seen :-/ I also worry about your
APs and networking infra -- to support 400 active users you'll want at
least 8 APs. In more realistic terms, you'll probably need 12,
assuming a reasonably balanced load.

As I mentioned before... I am working on xs-0.6, with the
moodle-ejabberd magic.

> This dell server has a dual-core Xeon 3.0 GHz processor and 2 GB RAM.
> RAM was fine, beam only used 450 MB according to ps_mem.py

Well, that's 1/4 of your RAM. You need to budget for apache/php,
postgres, and squid. Right now the main problem is Squid.

Thanks for the list below. Quite a few are about stuff I can't help
with (roof leaks, power cords...) the others, I'm working on...

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com