[Server-devel] XO's get bogged down w/ chatter (was Re: Serving 400+ students w/ a single central XS )

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Sun Mar 8 11:06:53 EDT 2009

I just want to reiterate the following because I have gotten several
e-mails suggesting solutions to scaling the XS.

The Dell server handles this problem fine. I expect the MSI wind PC will
handle it fine as well.

The problem is w/ the ___XO's___ NOT the servers. It is hard for the
XO's to keep track of all the conversations happening

The problem w/ centralization is creating a huge giant shared chatroom.
It creates a ton of "chatter" that the XO's have to keep track of.

I need to find the upper limit of how many XO's can share one roster
w/out getting significantly bogged down.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director